Friday 3 April 2015

Thousands watch as devotees VOLUNTEER to be 'crucified' to mark Good Friday in The Philippines

 
More than 60,000 people have attended Good Friday 'crucifixions' in the Philippines as religious devotees mark Good Friday in the country. The event is an annual tradition in the devoutly Catholic country and sees people volunteer to be nailed to wooden crosses in front of watching crowds.

Participants believe the crucifixions to be an act of repentance for their sins and attempts to closely resemble the death of Jesus on the cross.

But the ritual, which takes place just outside the capital city Manila and also sees people whipped and beaten, is stopped before people come to any serious physical harm and often sees the same devotees take part each year.

After being taken down from the cross, 50-year-old Wilfredo Salvador, said taking part had helped him overcome a nervous breakdown several years ago.

He told AFP: "My faith got me through my illness. I will continue doing this for as long as I live. It was painful up there, but I felt light. I can't explain it. I would say my faith is very strong."

The practice has previously been condemned by the country's Catholic church and Department of Health and this year the government banned tourists from taking part.

But local mayor Edwin Santiago said aside from the religious symbolism, the event brings a great economic boost to the area.

He said: "We don't have the exact record of the money, but for sure the Good Friday activities help our locals in their businesses."


No comments:

Post a Comment

We reserve the right to delete any message found vulgarizing. Avoid crude or indecent texts..