Sunday 31 May 2015

The Osinbajo we know — Church members

What is your name and position in the church?
I am Tope Jegede; the administrator of the church.

How long have you known the vice-president? 
I have been working as the church administrator for five years. I got close to pastor-prof (the way the church members address Osinbajo) about five years ago but I have known him for 10 years.

What can you say about his person?
He is a man of service. As a pastor in our parish, he is highly respected. His major calling into the ministry is to touch the hopeless and the vulnerable. I am not surprised that he got the opportunity to serve the nation because he has always carved a niche himself anywhere he finds himself. In Olive Tree, before his involvement in the elections, he had created 10 programmes designed to touch lives. Some of them include feeding the poor through a programme tagged ‘soup kitchen.’ He started it in the church without nursing any political ambition. Through the programme, we provide food for people that would have gone hungry. Another one is Mercy Cross, which provides medical insurance for children between ages 0 and 3. There is also a programme he termed ‘Just Justice’ through which he provides legal representation for the less-privileged for free. He started the programmes under an umbrella scheme known as ‘Whom Shall I Send?’

He carries the bearing of a no-nonsense man. Does that describe him?
Yes, he is a no-nonsense person. But he is also a very compassionate person. He gives people a very long rope to pull themselves together. He does not suspect people; he gives people equal opportunities to prove themselves. But once an individual proves otherwise, as a man of integrity, he will not tolerate that. There was a time some people confronted him and said he would fail in the parish. Till today, he shows them unconditional love. He neither bears grudges nor victimises anyone. Rather, he will do all he can to help anyone in need. I can dare say that since I have known him, I have never seen him get angry publicly. He is always calm. I am not saying he is perfect but he has allowed Christ to rub off on him.

Was his ambition announced in the church before the elections?
One thing he never did was to use the platform of the church for his political ambition. It took him a while before he could address the situation. The first time he mentioned anything about it was when he was elected as the vice-president. And he told us that he did it deliberately so that nobody would accuse him of using the church platform for politics.

Does he crack jokes?
Yes, he has a very good sense of humour. He laughs with his heart, but one has to be intelligent to make him laugh.

Briefly introduce yourself.
I am Dr. Daniel Ismaila (OON), a former Director of Finance and Administration, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency.

How long have you known Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo?
I have known him for about five years now. He was my instructor at the Bible College where he taught me ‘Transformational Leadership.’ He was also the pastor of the Olive Tree Parish, the church I attended at the time. Besides teaching me in the class, we have had personal contacts several times and we have discussed very sensitive issues concerning this country. I was a director in NDLEA for 15 years. We had met several times in economic and financial crimes seminar which was organised by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission before 2011. One of the reasons why I started attending the Olive Tree Parish was because of the way he was managing the church.

How would you describe him?
He is not just a very good lawyer; he is also a very good pastor. He is passionate about this country. We believe that God would use him to play a key role in the government of the country. On February 16 last year, President Goodluck Jonathan and Pastor Adeboye came to Olive Tree service. During that service, Adeboye told Jonathan that Prof. Osinbajo is one of his sons who, ‘if you give an assignment, you can go to sleep.’ 

I had thought then that it was a message to Jonathan to see how he could utilise Prof Osinbajo in his government to turn around situations. I have always seen him as such, but I did not know that God was going to take him closer to the centre of power.

Briefly introduce yourself.
I am Pastor Ben Ewuzie, Rector, the Redeemer’s International Leadership Academy, Ikoyi, Lagos.

How long have you known the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo?
I have known Prof. Osinbajo for about 20 years now. We met as students in the Bible College. We were in the same Bible class. Thereafter, he was posted to start a parish of the Redeemed Christian Church of God. I head the leadership school of the RCCG. He comes to lecture in the Bible school. We have kept our relationship as friends and associates. We have had an unbroken friendship for 20 years. While he was an Attorney General, I wanted him to come and lecture in our academy. I thought he would be quite busy, but when I went to him, he said, “Pastor, you know I must do the work of God, office or no office. That should not deter me from serving God.” He came and delivered his lecture. That is the kind of person he is. He practises what he preaches and teaches.

Click on ...Punch for more

No comments:

Post a Comment

We reserve the right to delete any message found vulgarizing. Avoid crude or indecent texts..