Tuesday 17 March 2015

Nigeria 2015 Polls: Jega says resigning’ll amount to disservice to Nigerians

The Independent National Electoral Commission Chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, has denied allegations that he is under pressure to resign.

“I have a job to do and it would be a disservice to Nigerians for me to resign,” Jega told a town hall meeting in Abuja on Monday.

He also gave assurance that voters whose fingerprints might not be recognised by card readers would be allowed to vote after they must have filled incident forms.

The INEC boss said that protests and calls by some groups for his resignation would not deter him and his team from delivering free and fair elections to Nigerians.

He said, “I have heard of the several calls for me to be removed. In fact, I am aware that some groups have been protesting. Well, I have a job to do and I will do it. Nobody has asked me to resign and all of us at INEC are focused on ensuring that this election is free and fair.”

Jega assured Nigerians that INEC had put in place, some stringent measures to prevent multiple voting in the elections.

Jega said that the time lapse between the accreditation and voting exercise was aimed at restricting movement of voters from one polling unit to the other and also ensuring that people did not vote more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We reserve the right to delete any message found vulgarizing. Avoid crude or indecent texts..